1. Consistency is key. Form the habit of waking up at the same time every day, including weekends.
2. Aim to get 7-8 hours of sleep every day. This means, being prepared to be asleep in time to allow yourself 7-8 hours. If you need to wake up at 6 am but don’t fall asleep til midnight, you are not setting yourself up to get adequate sleep.
3. Go to your bed only when you are sleepy and if you are not asleep within 20 minutes, get out of bed.
4. Use your bed for sleep and sex only. This means, no cell phones, TV, computer, etc.
5. Avoid alcohol, caffeine, large meals, and excess fluids around bedtime.
6. Make your bedroom a relaxing, calm environment and limit bright lights prior to bedtime.
7. Prior to lying in bed, make a clearing of anything that’s bothering you from the day and hand it over to your Higher Power. Make a list of who and what you’re grateful for today.
Why would you want to do any of this to improve your sleep? Adequate sleep can:
1. Improve memory and mood.
2. Help you fulfill your life’s purpose!
3. Curb inflammation
4. Spike creativity
5. Sharpen attention span
6. Overall better health
7. Better sex life
8. Lower risk of injury
9. Better weight control
10. Clearer thinking
11. Stronger Immunity